#PRFAIL - Lessons in Public Relations
Updated: Oct 6
1. Be a journalist's friend, not just a source.
2. "Your partnership with company X is not news. Please don't waste my time."
3. "As professionals, we ought to learn to take no for an answer."
4. When your PR person thinks they can buy their way into a story.
5. When your PR so bad, it makes the corporate metaverse sound appealing.
6. When your PR person thinks they can bully their way into a story.
7. When your PR person doesn't know when to quit.
8. When your PR person doesn't know their audience.
9. When your PR team doesn't understand the concept of "newsworthiness."
10. When your PR is so bad, you have to beg people to connect with you on LinkedIn.
11. It's 2023, people. We should have single-sex fitting rooms by now.
12. "Dear all" is a PR fail. I'm not a corporation. I don't have multiple personalities.
13. Just get to the point already.
14. Don't be a #PRFail twice. Get it right the first time.
15. When your new client's marketing flyer makes you do a double-take.
16. Don't be a journalist's nightmare. Do your research.
17. There are good PR people and bad PR people. The bad ones are truly awful.
18. Take time to personalize your press release, it shows you care.
19. A little research goes a long way.
20. Avoid making basic errors that can damage your credibility.
21. What if I told you —less is more.
22. When the CEO does the exclusive thing
23. Don't fake it. Building relationships with reporters takes time and effort. There are no shortcuts or silver bullets. Sorry to disappoint.
24. Media training is essential for public figures.Don't wing it when talking to the media. A little preparation can go a long way.
25. Look, I’m not going to try and convince you. You just gotta do your own research.
26. On a scale of 1-10, how much do you believe that image complements the desired narrative?
27. Don't be that pushy PR person.
28. “Spray and Pray”
29. Think before you post. Be mindful of your words and actions.
30. So much for controlling the narrative.
31. You are supposed to do your homework